My weeks are filled with tons of research. Whether I’m reading articles, research papers, test results, or just browsing organizations & news websites, I’m constantly learning something new. My week was jammed pack with webinars, Twitter parties, and reading lots of new info. I found out some interesting information that was worthy of sharing. (I also try to post news stories on my Facebook page)
- Gum is made out of plastic! This was a complete shocker to me but after thinking about it, it makes since. Not only is it plastic, but all sugar free (and some with sugar) contain aspartame which all children (and adults) should avoid.
- Cell phones emit enough radiation that is possibly carcinogenic to humans.
- Coal-fired plants are the primary source of toxic mercury air emissions in the United States.
- Obama and the USDA have chosen to override and ignore decisions and injunctions made by the U.S. Supreme Court that banned planting of genetically engineered alfalfa and sugar beets without consideration of the Environmental Impact Assessments, which showed high risks to organic and conventional (chemical) farmers.
- Sugar beets make up 50% of the sugar Americans consume. GM alfalfa (what animals eat) will totally wipe out organic dairy and meat.
- Triclosan and other antibacterials can be found in plastic!
- A Canadian University may have found a cure for cancer in 2007, but since it can’t be patented, no drug company has funded further research.
- The FDA finally concludes BPA does line most aluminum cans and it leaches into food. So now what?
- New Zealand and the UK have done studies about Flame Retardants causing SIDS in the early 2000’s, but there hasn’t been much follow up. After reading all of the infant products that contain flame retardants, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they were related.
- Out of 101 tested infant products made with polyurethane foam, 80% came back positive for halogenated flame retardants. Even 1 product tested positive for a flame retardant that has been banned for the past 7 years. Products tested were high chairs, nursing pillows, mattresses, car seats, rocking chairs, sleep postioners, changing pads, baby carriers, and more.
- Companies do not have to tell you what their products are made out of. I’ve been told numerous times this week (by big named, claiming to be eco-friendly companies) that they can’t tell me because it’s proprietary. I also found out that a lot of companies don’t know the ingredients in their own products and had to ask the original manufacturer!! That is so scary… not to mention shady…
- The EWG’s new sunscreen best sheet is kind of flawed. There are numerous sun screens with toxic ingredients that made their list. They rated them by UVA protection, not chemical safety protection. Use SafeMama’s list instead. 🙂
- American coal plants produce 386,000 tons of hazardous air pollutants every year.
- American Academy of Pediatrics said children should not drink energy drinks and only a select few should drink sports drinks.
- American Heart Association recommends that women consume no more that 100 calories of added sugar per day–about 6 teaspoons–and men consume no more than 150 calories of added sugar per day–about 9 teaspoons.
- Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice and Apple and Eve Clear Apple Juice contain 22 grams of sugar per 8 ounce glass.
Amount of sugar in grams:
# of grams
In teaspoons of sugar
1 teaspoon, 1 sugar cube, 1 sugar packet
50 teaspoons of sugar (1 cup granulated)
54 teaspoons of sugar (1 cup packed brown)